Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oh, feelin' old

Sofia's CD player, which is well-love from all-night CD playing, is not functioning properly. It finally got so bad that tonight, she just couldn't go to sleep because it wouldn't play past the first song on any CD. So I got the inspiration to play some cassettes for her. I dug around in the office closet and came up with some Kings Heralds tapes for kids. The good stuff. I brought them into her room, and she looked at me, looked at the cassettes, and said, "What is that?"

I explained what they were, and that the music playing on them was what mommy listened to when I was a little girl. The understanding dawned on her face, and she said, matter-of-factly, "So that's what you listened to when your CD player wasn't working."

Apparently, the concept of the non-existence of CD players in my childhood had no place in her logic. I imagine it's the same look on my face when my dad told me that VHS did not exist in his childhood. What, no Blockbuster? How is that possible? And I'm sure nowadays, kids would say, "What's VHS?" Don't get me started on Beta. Or DOS. Or Atari. Good Heavens. When did I get so old?

3 comments:

Lois said...

Way back when...
Did Sofia like the Kings Heralds tape? Time does fly as does technology. Dad still has Grandpa Brown's old wire recorder in the attic. It makes me feel terribly old when you are feeling old:)

DonB said...

You got old while I was watchin'.

Kim Greenberg said...

If you're old, then I'm in trouble!! Last year I put a VHS tape in for the kids to watch a movie, and during the rewind, the kids said, "what is that noise"? It's the sound of ancient times, I told them!