Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Never give up hope

Sofia has never been the girlie-girl. She rarely plays dress up, despite having some lovely frocks to do so, she loves to rough-and-tumble with her daddy, have races with her friends, and fights with her brothers. So it is no surprise that taming her wild-child hair is consistently a source of friction for us. Ever since before she could speak, she has resisted all forms of hair management. We have been taking baby step, trying to acclimate her to looking domesticated. First, we convinced her to let us put barrettes in. Then, about a year later, the pony tail ("kitty tail" to her) was introduced. But she has been fiercely opposed to braiding her hair. I do not know why. I cannot think of a traumatic moment that may have scarred her memory. And we have tried every technique, every possible person, from older "girlfriends" to Aunties, to Grandma. NO ONE has been able to convince her even to try it.

This week, we have had highs in the 100s, and her hair has been completely unmanageable. I have tried barrettes, kitty tails, everything. Nothing could keep it under control. Finally I told her that she could either let me braid her hair, or we were going to cut it off. At least I gave her a choice!

Tearfully she submitted to the braids. I did one on each side, and she was CUTE!!!! Of course, I wasn't allowed to take pictures. But at least we made that step, though by force.

Well, today as we were getting dressed she ASKED for a braid! Anyone who knows Sofia realized how monumental this is. Not only did I not have to force her, she asked for it, and she LET ME TAKE HER PICTURE!!

This may be the most stubborn child I have. No amount of coercion, bribing, pleading, tearful weeping or threatening can make her do something she doesn't want to. But then, BOOM! out of the blue she will do it, pretending all the while it was her own idea.

Without further ado, here is my braided beauty:

No comments: