Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm impressed with my younger self!

So in my quest to de-mite our bedroom, I donated my down comforter to Goodwill. And was left with a bare bed. I didn't really feel like spending money on a new cover, so I raided my closet to see what I could find.



I found Emily. Yes, this is Emily, as in Dickinson (I was always destined to be an English major). I made this quilt while I was in high school, I think. I decided I wanted to make a quilt, found a pattern, then thought, why make a twin size when I could make a King size? So make a King-size quilt I did.


As I pulled this out of the top shelf of the kids bathroom and laid it on my bed, I started really looking at it. And imagining what it would take for me to make something like this today. Man, I must have has some free time! And it amazes me that I was able to stick with the project. Granted, I sewed the top piece, then sent it to my grandma to bind and tie, but that was still a whole lotta sewing! And the pieces actually match up nicely.


So I want to thank my mom for helping me get started with that, my first (and maybe only) very large project. I vaguely remember going with her to choose the coordinating fabrics (is anyone surprised that I chose green? I didn't think so) and to explain how to piece it all together. Apparently, some of the lessons actually did take.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So Did you wash this old thing???