Thursday, February 26, 2009

Felt food

I really love pretend food. Always have. Playing grocery store was probably top of my list as a child. Which is probably why I love felt food so much. It looks pretty realistic, and has that aura of homemade that makes it seem so special. So I've tried my hand a few felt items. None of my stuff comes from a pattern, I just kind of make it up. It probably shows, ha! But I do scour the Internet for websites with pictures, and then go from there. This is made from cheap felt, not the nice wool felt, and it is partially machine sewed, and partially hand sewed. My stitches are never straight, my technique is sorely lacking, but by golly, if my kids don't think I'm awesome. What a confidence booster, especially for a non-crafter such as myself.

Here are some of my previous, uh, creations:


In case my handiwork is even worse than I imagine, this plate includes pancake with butter, fried egg, and two chocolate chip cookies.

This is the product of today's labor:
Lovely loaf of bread and a carrot. I should probably make more carrots to have a bunch. Maybe tomorrow. I also have a cinnamon roll in the works, and plans for tofu stir fry, pumpkin pie, green beans, and maybe, if I get really ambitious, a "peelable" banana.

5 comments:

DonB said...

You sound so much like your mother. I was always interested to see how seriously she took the lots of work to make something where the effort was not appreciated but assumed. The kids never think of it as a great gift from mom, just a great toy to play with. You find the satisfaction in that.

Olivia said...

I think that you are much craftier than you let on. I'm impressed...I would have had to settle for having someone else make them.

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Those are fabulous! Your kids are very lucky to have such a creative Mom! :)

Annie B said...

You rock!

Kim Greenberg said...

These look like they came from a specialty store. Let's see ya make some peas, please!!!