Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm upping my game...




DIY Day @ ASPTL

So I found this little piece of ugly at a Goodwill a while back, labeled "end table." And I'm sure it one time was, in all it's 70s-style leggy form, faux-nail-trim-head glory. This little piece was crying out for help. I wasn't entirely sure what kind of help I personally could render, but I bought 'er anyways.




Lucky for me, I found these two little pretties at an antique/used furniture store up the road aways....

And no, the cute little lady was not part of the deal. She came at a hefty price 4 1/2 years ago.

But I digress.

I saw the vision of what that sad little table was destined for..... a desk for my two fellas! And since I've had so much fun with the black spray paint lately, I pulled it out again, to the dismay of my daughter. "Aren't we going to paint something a different color? How about pink? The boys like purple!" Poor lass. Black is the color of the week.

Well, a few coats of primer & paint later, and this is what we come up with:

Oh, yes, and I added the green stripes using some craft paint I had left over from doing the boys' nursery. I will eventually stencil Sam & Ben's names on their respective chairs. Sofia was insistent that the chairs needed to have some green on them, too. Stripes, wiggly lines, something.
Here's a picture of the boys enjoying their "new" furniture:

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I love it!!

Sarah said...

wow! what a fantastic transformation. i never would have looked at that desk/chairs and thought to salvage them with a quick redo. nice work :)

Jane said...

I have seen that style of table at thrift stores before. I will have to keep this project in mind.

Brittany said...

wow! this is so cute, i love to paint furniture black!

Sachiko said...

Wow, the end table and chairs fit perfectly. You did a great job on the makeover. I think black was a good choice over purple. :)

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

that turned out rally cute! Nice job!

My nick name if Fawn (short for Fawnda) : )

sarah said...

I love that idea! too cute!

Rosie said...

You are getting awfully handy with that black spray paint! The boys look like they love their new furniture. Great job!
rosie