Wednesday, September 20, 2017

When we went Tide Pooling

When we went Tide Pooling

by Ben

The moment I saw the vast ocean I was thrilled.
When we arrived, everybody was there: Gramma, Papa, Aunt Annie, Uncle Daniel, Aunt Julie, Uncle Don, Makoa, Tasi, Mom, Dad, Sam, Sofia, and me. When we went down the trail, we saw people in wetsuits, and I asked, “Who are those people?”
Gramma replied, “They are abalone hunters.”
We went along the trail, turned left, and to the ocean, we go.  We came to some rocks and stepped on squishy things that squirted out water. “What are those squishy things?” I asked.
Daddy said, “They are anemones.”
But then Gramma told us we went the wrong way!
Finally, we got to the tide pools that Gramma wanted. The rocks had slippery algae, and I didn’t want to fall, but I didn’t want to squish the anemones either. “I don’t want to get pricked by the sea urchins,” I whined.
“You’re fine,” soothed Mom.
I’ll go over where Sofia is, I thought.
When I got to where Sofia was, I climbed up a hump, and saw Daddy down over a cliff. “Come down here,” called Daddy.
“It’s so steep,” I called back down, but anyway I tried! There were mussels as I went down the cliff. “Put your legs out,” instructed Daddy. After me, Sam climbed down, then Sofia, then Tasi.
After we all climbed down, we followed Daddy. “There’s an Abalone!” whispered Gramma.
“Cool!” we all replied in unison. We had never seen one before.
“The tide is coming in,” warned Gramma. We would have to go back.
 “Look what I found!!!!” yelled Mommy as we were going back.  I came hopping along the rocks to get to her.
“An octopus!” I wowed. I marveled at the sight, but wait! An anemone was trying to eat it, but it couldn’t: there was no water near them! When the octopus got out of the anemone, Gramma picked it up!
“Do you want to hold it?” she asked. After we all held it, Gramma put it in a tide pool near to us. Next, Gramma let us pick it up one more time and then she put in the open sea.
Sam found a tiny starfish, but after a while Tasi found an even smaller starfish! We played a little more and then it was time to leave! “Noooooooo!” I groaned. “I like the tide pools!”
As we all left, I rode with Aunt Annie and Uncle Daniel. We went super fast! When we got back to our cabins, we were worn out! “That was fun,” we agreed.


No comments: