Monday, November 10, 2008

Comfort Food


So my family has been taking turns with various illnesses, and yesterday it was my turn to experience flu-like symptoms. So today my body is a bit worn out. I haven't been eating too well, so this afternoon, I really wanted something substantive and maybe semi-healthy. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, which is one of my go-to sites for new recipes. I think it turned out pretty good. And it was easy, which today is a prerequisite. It says it makes 5 servings, but I think I'll double it next time. Pretty skimpy servings. If you're interested in trying it, here goes:


INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups chicken broth (I made mine out of McKay's Chicken Style Seasoning, but regular vegetable broth would work too)
2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Bring broth to a boil. Add broccoli and onion. Cook for five minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
In a separate bowl, slowly add milk to flour, and mix until well blended.
Stir flour mixture into broth mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is thick and bubbly. Add cheese if desired; stir until melted. Add seasonings and serve.

6 comments:

Kim Greenberg said...

Mmmm! That looks good. You must have been feeling better to bypass the canned chicken noodle and go for the sink full of dishes. I'll bet it was worth the effort!

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

That looks so good. I am starving right now!

Olivia said...

That looks good. I'm impressed that you made that while being sick.

Annie B said...

it is a great site... I'm also a big fan of videojug.com for more complicated recipes

Kim Greenberg said...

I just checked out videojug.com and WOW, I love it. Thanks "annie b". I think I'll be making latkes for the holidays! Mmmm!

The Family said...

I hope that you guys are feeling better. This is the season where the sharing of "bugs" begins and we all start feeling bad. Hopefully it won't last too long.